Battling with Depression

Did you know many people suffer from Depression? What is Depression? Here’s the definition below.

Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts,behavior, feelings and sense of well-being.[1][2] People with depressed mood can feel sad, anxious, empty,hopeless, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, ashamed or restless


Depression comes in many forms such as Manic, Postpartum, Bipolar, Psychotic, Situational and Atypical.Most people don’t talk about their depression out of not wanting help or they don’t even realize that they are depressed. 

Example:

I went to college right out of high school like most kids do. I fell into a major depression because I didn’t know how to cope and fit in. At the time, I didn’t know it wasdepression. I thought I was just really homesick but came to find out later on that it was a form of depression. Everyday after class was over, I would go back to my dorm room and cry for 3-4 hours straight. 

I did my school work but once that was done, called my parents for two hours every night then went to bed. Idid this every day for a semester. I barely ate anything except for a little bit of pasta, soup, and salad. I would walk every night around campus for anhour. I dropped down to 145 pounds when I started the school year at 195. 

It wasn’t until a friend whoI didn’t even know that well, had reminded me that even in the darkest of nights…. God is still there. He left me with the verse of Zephaniah 3:17-20, which has become my life verse because of this experience. 

Zephaniah 3:17-20 reads:

17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save,he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

18 I will gather them that are sorrowful for the solemn assembly,who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden.

19 Behold, at that time I will undo all that afflict thee: and I will save her that halteth, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get them praise and fame in every land where they have been put to shame.

20 At that time will I bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make you a name and a praise among all people of the earth, when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, saith the Lord.

I would recite this passage over and over again. I then took to just depending on God to get me through the hardest time in my life. He became my rock and my best friend. It didn’t matter at the time that I had a few friends but I am grateful that they stuck with me even when I didn’t really “see” them because I was so stuck in my depression.

It was like all the air was sucked out of the room or for a better image, more like I was out in the middle of a dark ocean with no light anywhere. Once my friend reminded me thatGod was still there in the midst of the darkness, it was like a lighthouse guiding me home or a life ring tossed out for me to grab a hold of. 

So basically, if you or someone you love is struggling with depression…. please seek help. God doesn’t call for us to live in depression when He came to give us life more abundantly.

John 10:10 tells us so:

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I pray for each and every one of you who read this blog post. God has a better plan for you. 

Another verse to look up and remember is Jeremiah 29:11-13 (KJV) because it reminds us that God has a plan for us. 

11 ForI know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace,and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.

13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Until next time,

The Traveling Gypsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Moor by Julianna Deering

Who's your Anchor?

The Prince of Spies by Elizabeth Camden